From: Ian Jackson [mailto:Ian.Jackson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, April 16, 2015 8:20 AM
To: Dugger, Donald D
Cc: wg-test-framework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600 storage controller

Dugger, Donald D writes ("RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600
storage controller"):
> (Responding to the email with the right list address :-)
> My suspicion would be that you're missing a necessary module in your locally
> built 3.14 kernel.  The fact that the Debian kernel works and the local
> kernel doesn't report any errors would indicate that it's just a matter of
> something missing.

That was my thought too.  I tried quite hard to search for the right missing
module without success.

> First I'd ask what `lsmod' on the working Debian system shows, maybe that
> will indicate something missing.  If not we can dig deeper.

I looked through the lsmod outputs and didn't see anything that jumped out.

On Debian (passed root=/something/which/did/not/exist) to force it to fail in
the initramfs:

(initramfs) lsmod
ohci_hcd               26563  0
uhci_hcd               26865  0
dm_mod                 63645  2
sg                     25874  0
usbhid                 36418  0
hid                    81372  1 usbhid
sd_mod                 36136  2
crc_t10dif             12348  1 sd_mod
isci                   81333  1
libsas                 55095  1 isci
ahci                   24997  0
libahci                22941  1 ahci
libata                140630  3 libsas,ahci,libahci
scsi_transport_sas     29388  2 isci,libsas
ehci_hcd               40249  0
e1000e                133833  0
usbcore               128741  5 ohci_hcd,uhci_hcd,usbhid,ehci_hcd
scsi_mod              162321  6 sg,sd_mod,isci,libsas,libata,scsi_transport_sas
usb_common             12354  1 usbcore
(initramfs)

With my own kernel:

(initramfs) lsmod
isci                   98016  0
e1000e                193049  0
libsas                 57832  1 isci
scsi_transport_sas     25282  2 isci,libsas
(initramfs) modprobe ohci_hcd
(initramfs) modprobe uhci_hcd
(initramfs) modprobe dm_mod
(initramfs) modprobe sg
(initramfs) modprobe usbhid
(initramfs) modprobe hid
(initramfs) modprobe sd_mod
(initramfs) modprobe crc_t10dif
(initramfs) modprobe isci
(initramfs) modprobe libsas
(initramfs) modprobe ahci
(initramfs) modprobe libahci
(initramfs) modprobe libata
(initramfs) modprobe scsi_transport_sas
(initramfs) modprobe ehci_hcd
(initramfs) modprobe e1000e
(initramfs) modprobe usbcore
(initramfs) modprobe scsi_mod
(initramfs) modprobe usb_common
(initramfs) lsmod
crc_t10dif              1047  0
crct10dif_common        1284  1 crc_t10dif
isci                   98016  0
e1000e                193049  0
libsas                 57832  1 isci
scsi_transport_sas     25282  2 isci,libsas
(initramfs)

(The list of modprobes generated from the lsmod, above.)