Re: [Wg-test-framework] linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600 storage controller

Dugger, Donald D writes ("RE: linux 3.14.34 failure to detect disks on C600
storage controller"):
> The other thing I would try is to get a copy of the Debian kernel sources and
> re-build them the same way you are building the 3.14 kernel.  If a hand built
> Debian kernel doesn't work then that would be solid proof the problem is the
> configuration and not the code.

You mean to build Debian's 3.2.0-4 with my config ?  I could try that
I guess but it wouldn't tell us much because it might be that 3.14.34
needs different config options to work properly with this controller.

> I'm guessing the problem is in the initfs, typically the initfs is created
> using modules from the running system.  Are you rebuilding the 3.14 kernel on
> the failing machine or do you build it on a different system?

You're thinking the problem is initramfs plumbing ?  I'm sure that's
not the case - that is all automated.  The build is done on some
machine (baremetal, and in this case it happens that it was one of
these same machines) and generates build outputs including all the
modules.  Then the target machine is completely wiped and reinstalled
from scratch, and the kernel and modules from the build are unpacked
onto it and a suitable initramfs created (using the standard Debian
tools for such things).