Re: [Wg-test-framework] Minutes: May Xen+Libvirt OpenStack monthly meeting (was held in June)

On Wed, 3 Jun 2015, Lars Kurth wrote:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/tempest/+bug/1443898 - has an unaccepted patch.
> Lars: do we need to ping people to get it looked at
> Bob: Has a -1, so we may need to address feedback first
> AnthonyP: send link to patch to include  (patch 180161,
> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/180161/)

Just to give you some more background on this, the issue is that Nova
exposes an old API, called BDM, that has a mandatory field called
"block_device_mapping" that contains the name of the guest root device.

Tempest writes "/dev/vda" in that field, which is the virtio name for a
disk. The Xen PV name is "/dev/xvda". Passing /dev/vda does not work on
Xen.

Nova also has a newer API, BDMv2, where the corresponding field name is
block_device_mapping_v2, that contains just a boot index and no name.
For example 0. That works well on Xen.

Tempest runs tests with both BDM and BDMv2. As it stands BDM tests don't
work and cannot work on Xen. The Tempest people didn't want to change
their BDM tests because they don't want to have hypervisor specific
knowledge in their code base (even though as a matter of fact /dev/vda
is hypervisor specific): https://review.openstack.org/#/c/174866.

On the other hand the Nova people are not happy with renaming /dev/vda
to /dev/xvda when running on Xen, because it is considered a workaround.
There is one more comment on patch 180161, so fixing the issue in Nova
is not completely out of the question yet.

We'll keep you posted. Please let us know if you have any ideas on how
to move forward on this.

In terms of other open issues from lunchpad, it would be nice to fix
#1187330 and it seems like a good place to begin for anybody that would
like to start making contributions.