Re: [Wg-test-framework] Question re Windows VM Licensing : Answer

Lars Kurth writes ("Question re Windows VM Licensing : Answer"):
> is what has been suggested a workable approach? I suppose what this
> translates to is that everyone who performs sysadmin work on the live Test
> Lab would basically need to be covered by an MSDN license. However, for other
> situations, such as downloading logs etc, that would not be needed.

I don't think is is.  At least,

> From: Steve Westmoreland
> <swestmoreland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:swestmoreland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
> -This sounds like a big test dev environment? If that holds true, MSDN for
> every developer touching and using the software is all that is required.

I don't know what "touching and using the software" precisely means.

Here are some relevant activities:

1. Many people contribute patches to osstest which are put into
   production.

2. We want a wide range of community members to be able to submit
   test jobs (perhaps via some kind of web UI).

3. A less wide range of community members will be given login access to
   the colo so that they can run tests on machines in the production
   instance.  This is going to be relevant, for example, if we have a
   host-specific bug.

Both (2) and (3) might involve the user causing a Windows VM to be
created.  In (2) the user would be able to see the logs from that VM
including screenshots from its virtual display; in (3) the user would
be able to directly interact with the VM via VNC, or run debugging
tools against it.

osstest is fairly distributed and loosely coupled, so the limit to
"osstest administrators" (ie, those who organise the production CI
loop tests) is not really sensible.

Sorry,