[Wg-test-framework] Credativ COLO Maintenance and Web Real Estate contract for review (feedback needed before Oct 19th)

  • To: "wg-test-framework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wg-test-framework@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Lars Kurth <lars.kurth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:01:34 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:01:45 +0000

Hi all,
I would like to make a recommendation to the Advisory Board whether to accept the Credativ proposal. There are a few key points
  • We do have enough budget for the proposal as it stands â I will need to factor this into next year's budget also.
  • It is structured to minimise risk for us: the only potential issue we could face is that in the end more than the estimated hours are needed. We can buy extra hours, but the risk is that we may not have enough budget in such a situation. I think this is however unlikely for maintenance work, but a possibility for say expansion work: in this case, we will have to make choices on what work is more important, find extra budget or other options.
  • I do have a recommendation from the Linux Foundation regarding Credativ (see below) and both Ian Jackson and Konrad were happy with the technical interview of the engineers doing the work. Ian knows some of the folks personally and thus declared a conflict of interest.
  • My interaction with Credativ at LinuxCon EU last week was very positive : they seem to be very alert and were very pro-active.
Notes about the contract
  • Phase 1 and 2 is about taking stock to lay the groundwork for the project (it amounts to about 26% of the contract sum)
  • For the ongoing maintenance, we assume that 2.5 days of effort per month are required (discounting any major new projects)
  • The contract covers a total of 38 days
  • It is structured in the first year, such that we have some flexibility: e.g.
    • Any hours not used in phase 1 and 2 carry over into maintenance
    • Any hours not used carry on into another year
    • We can use excess hours to set up a new rack in the COLO
    • We can buy additional hours
    • On-site work will be accounted for in 1.5 multiples of an hour (aka 1 hour on-site in the COLO will be counted as 1.5 hours). A remote hour, will be counted as 1 hour
    • We do get 6% discount, but it is predicated on a year's contract
  • 6 month before the contract ends, we need to decide whether to re-new it for another year. At this stage, we can re-set the amount of hours based on past track record.
  • After phase 1 & 2 work will be assigned through a ticketing system and we will get monthly reports on the balance of hours that re-main
The only draw-back is that Credativ are not HW re-sellers: they can help us with HW procurement and have some connections, but any effort spent would need to come out of the time budget. This is different from what we have done before.

Please let me know if you have questions/concerns and raise them on the list. If it is significant, please do as early as possible such that I can get a new revision before the board meeting on Oct 20th.

Best Regards
Lars