Re: [win-pv-devel] Windows 10 domU is unstable with PV Bus Driver

  • To: 'Michel D'HOOGE' <michel.dhooge@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Paul Durrant <Paul.Durrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 09:49:49 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 19 Dec 2017 09:49:58 +0000

Oh dear. What version of Xen and dom0 are you running? Did you get any sort of
crash dump out of dom0. Also, do you have the Xen watchdog turned on? I wonder
whether it might have been that that triggered the reboot.

> I was locally connected (through a vswitch & through rdesktop to the
> domU. After a while, it stopped responding. I tried to connect through
> the VNC interface but Windows denied the access saying the user was
> already involved in an RDP connection.
> Before the reboot, the dom0 was behaving normally and nothing was
> added into the logs.
>
> It also happened twice before I increased the gnttab_max_frames value
> (and I'm quite sure I was also rdesktop-ing to the domU).
>
> The command I use is:
> rdesktop -u $USER -x 0x80 -g workarea -r disk:share=$HOME/rdp-share -r
> sound:off $XENIP
>

> > Fair enough. 174 frames is a massive number of grants; I'm surprised the
> VM wants to use that many. How many PV network and storage interfaces
> so you have (and how many vcpus in your guest)?
>
> A single PV network and 4 vcpus.
>
> Here is my config:

Thanks Michel. That's a pretty modest config so I really don't see why your
guest ends up so crazily hungry for grant references. It's most likely the
storage rather than the network which is the hog. I'll try to provoke the
behaviour you're seeing on my own rig.

Cheers,

  Paul