Re: [win-pv-devel] v9.0.0 released

  • To: Håkon Alstadheim <hakon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steffan Cline" <steffan@xxxxxxxxx>, "win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <win-pv-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Durrant, Paul" <pdurrant@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:46:45 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Dec 2019 08:47:04 +0000
  • Ironport-sdr: PcXsfmk2cEaSyGmZDt8KkZ7/Sszpk6IiRteSUAkoXARDvqlmjAMUvLD015g72lVBVfT7rFypc/ QRlcaEq+ybrg==

So your xenbus instance is coming up ok:

FFFF9B85D3779D00 (XP0001 XENBUS) [ACTIVE]

It is then creating VBD, VIF, IFACE, and CONS PDOs as expected. You have PDO
revisions 0800000A, 0800000B and 09000000 - 09000007, so the bindings should be
ok. Then I can see emulated disks and cd-rom coming up:

32056@1576324797.180483:xen_platform_log xen platform:
xenfilt|PdoCreate: FFFF9B85D3784040
(IDE\DiskQEMU_HARDDISK___________________________2.5+____\0.0.0)
32056@1576324797.180690:xen_platform_log xen platform:
xenfilt|PdoCreate: FFFF9B85D3784C50
(IDE\CdRomQEMU_QEMU_DVD-ROM_______________________2.5+____\0.1.0)
32056@1576324797.187770:xen_platform_log xen platform:
xenfilt|PdoCreate: FFFF9B85D37A7DA0
(IDE\DiskQEMU_HARDDISK___________________________2.5+____\1.0.0)
32056@1576324797.187960:xen_platform_log xen platform:
xenfilt|PdoCreate: FFFF9B85D302BD20
(IDE\DiskQEMU_HARDDISK___________________________2.5+____\1.1.0)

This is what would be expected as, to avoid a 0x7B BSOD, an upgrade of XENVBD
must include an interim fall-back to emulated disk (since Windows no longer has
a CDDB).

The fact that you don't get a 0x7B does imply that Windows is happy that it has
a system disk and is instead waiting for something else to appear. We see no
evidence of XENVBD loading (and it should, because the VBD PDO is present) so I
guess I has to be something in the PnP subsystem that's wedging up. I've not
seen anything like this before. I guess I should be able to repro by installing
8.2.2 and then 9.0.0 over the top.

I notice you have a very big mmio_hole (3G) specified in your xl.cfg. I wonder
if Windows is trying to allocate low memory and simply can't get enough. Could
you try 'mmio_hole=2048' instead? Also, I notice you are on bleeding-edge Xen
(4.13-rc)... Could you also try setting 'viridian=0' and see if that makes any
difference?

  Thanks,

    Paul