RE: [Xen-API] question regarding Event.timestamp field

Hi Ajay,

Ajay wrote:
> However the Event.timestamp field, which is also of type 'datetime' as per
> the Xen API
> specs, comes as integer looking string

Unfortunately this is a mismatch between the spec and the XenServer
implementation. The trailing dot on the end indicates this is a floating point
number with an omitted final '0' suffix. The number is a Unix
seconds-since-1970.

> Also, as per the XPM-RPC specs (http://www.xmlrpc.com/spec), the
> <dateTime.iso8601>
> example is given as "19980717T14:08:55". Note that it does not contain the
> milliseconds
> and the timezone information.  However looking at the traffic between
> XenCenter and
> XenServer 5.5, it looks like they do include the timezone information.

You are correct that the <dateTime.iso8601> elements sent by XenServer contain
a timezone (always UTC or 'Z'). The intention was to reduce confusion by making
the timezone explicit. Although different to the XMLRPC example I think this
still conforms to the ISO8601 spec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8601

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave Scott <dave.scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
Senior Architect, Citrix Systems (R&D) Ltd.