RE: [Xen-API] How Pygrub work on VHD

> > That's correct. When a vhd-based VDI is attached to a domain,
> blktap(kernel-space) + tapdisk(user-space) do the translation from raw
> disk block accesses to vhd read/writes.
>
> What you are talking about is how VM accesses vhd-based disk image. What
> I want to know is how pygrub grabs kernel and initrd from vhd-based disk
> image, pygrub is running on dom0, there is no /dev/xvda, which is inside
> VM.

Before booting a VM, xapi will set up blktap for each of the VM's disks. One
side effect of this is that a block device is exposed in dom0 that enables
tools in dom0 to also access the disk. For a HVM guest this is used by qemu for
accessing the guest's disk through emulation. It is this same device that
pygrub operates against.

I'm not sure why pygrub isn't working for you. You should be able to run it
manually against the block device and see why its failing.

Ian