Re: [Xen-API] Re: [Xen-devel] Generic PV Guests on XCP?

[re-adding xen-api so it's in the archives]

Hi Phil,

The toolstacks are separate; xm works at the individual VM level and xe works
at the resource pool level.  When you SSH into an XCP box, you are in that
host's dom0, and xe commands work at the level of the cluster of hosts which
are pooled together.

If you're not too familiar with Xen, then it would be a lot easier to use XCP;
it takes care of things for you like mapping storage and networking to the
guest that often need some configuration and/or kernel recompilation with the
Python stack. Some features like high availability and the XML-RPC XenAPI
aren't implemented fully in the Python version at all since it's only single
host.

The only thing I miss is in XCP is an equivalent to 'xm console -c', which is
just laziness since the small script below is an adequate replacement.  If I
remember correctly, the automated Xen regression suite also uses the same
technique to stress test Linux guests and capture the results, so it's fine to
depend on.

cheers
Anil