[Xen-API] Building xapi toolstack - new instructions

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jonathan Ludlam <Jonathan.Ludlam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 14:28:22 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 06:29:02 -0700

Hi all,

As was pointed out last week or so, the current instructions for building the
xapi toolstack are woefully outdated.

I've been working on trying to make things a little easier for people to hack
on xapi, so I've built some RPMs and set up a YUM repository to make it a
little easier to get going. There is no longer any need to download a build
appliance VM - the new build environment is based on a standard CentOS 5.5
install. I'll update the website shortly with something that looks like the
following instructions. If anyone has a moment to test this, please let me know
if it works or not, and I'll update the instructions accordingly.

Cheers!

Jon

===========

First, install CentOS 5.5 32 bit. This has been tested in VirtualBox and XCP,
but should work under any hypervisor, or indeed on a real machine (!)

Create a file /etc/yum.repos.d/xcp_unstable.repo with the following contents:

[xcp_unstable]
name = xcp_unstable
baseurl = http://xenbits.xen.org/XCP/unstable/yum
gpgcheck = 0

Then execute the following commands:

rpm -e libaio
yum install gcc autoconf automake tetex ghostscript java-1.6.0-openjdk
java-1.6.0-openjdk-devel ant pam-devel python-devel zlib-devel openssl-devel
dev86 rpm-build texinfo flex bison sharutils elfutils-devel ncurses-devel
e4fsprogs-devel ocaml ocaml-findlib ocaml-getopt ocaml-type-conv ocaml-xmlm
omake ocaml-xmlm-devel xen-devel xapi-libs-devel xapi-libs-utils mercurial

Check out the xapi source:

hg clone http://xenbits.xen.org/XCP/xen-api.hg

and then build it:

cd xen-api.hg
make

Which should result in the binary 'xapi.opt' in the ocaml/xapi subdirectory.