RE: [Xen-API] XCP: dom0 scalability

Hi George,

> And one more...
>
> I think, this is point where we shall think again about XenSockets.
> They
> well be perfect for IDC.

I definitely agree that we need to create a nice IDC mechanism :)

I don't really know what the best mechanism would be... I've heard people talk
about a few different options.

One option is to create a protocol similar to blkback/blkfront and
netback/netfront i.e. using shared memory pages and event channels. This ought
to be the highest bandwidth approach. One potential downside is that a software
bug in one endpoint can prevent the other domain being cleaned up properly --
the domain will remain in the 'D'ying state until all memory is returned to it.

Another option is to create a protocol where instead of sharing memory pages,
memcpy() is used to move the data between domains. I think the XCI people might
be using a variant of this already.

There may be other options... what do you think?

Cheers,
Dave