Re: [Xen-API] [XCP] Intel 82576 DomU network problems

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: blp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Ben Pfaff)
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 16:06:10 -0800
  • Cancel-lock: sha1:jV7d8D5x97w4AqdtvRk7xDsf48w=
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 00:11:46 +0000

Berry Hoekstra <berry.hoekstra@xxxxxxx> writes:

> A default installation of XenServer 6 doesn't have this problem. It
> seems that the problem is related to the version of openvswitch used
> in XCP 1.1 (openvswitch-1.0.2-82.1943), as XenServer 6 comes with
> version 2.4.13 of the igb driver, but uses a different version of
> openvswitch (openvswitch-1.0.99-104.9871). I did not succeed in
> getting XAPI to work after compiling the latest version of openvswitch
> (1.3.0) using the same parameters and patches as the version used in
> XCP 1.1.
>
> Does anyone have similar problems regarding XCP 1.1 and the Intel
> 82576 NIC or knows how to properly update openvswitch? I assume the
> problem goes away when XCP 1.5 is released, as it is based on
> XenServer 6.

You have at least these choices:

        - Use a igb driver with the bug fixed.  I guess you
          haven't found one yet.

        - Upgrade to a Dom0 kernel that is new enough that it has
          the bug fixed.

        - Use the kernel from XenServer 6.0.0 (which has a
          workaround for the VLAN bug in many drivers) and then
          recompile OVS against that kernel so that it can take
          advantage of it.

        - Upgrade to an OVS 1.4.0 pre-release and enable the
          "vlan-splinters" workaround for buggy NIC drivers.

        - Use a different NIC whose driver doesn't have this bug.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org