Re: [Xen-API] sharing NFS SRs

George wrote:
> I've somehow afraid idea of 'leasing' operation (and periodic
> open/close
> operation).
>
> Here some scenarios to think about:
>
> 1) temporal loss of the host SAN connectivity. NFS on the host is going
> to interruptible sleep and continue IO as soon as we get connectivity
> back. We already kill tapdisk, remove lease, restart vm on other host
> and suddenly networking is revived... And pending NFS write operation
> is
> going straight in the middle of 'mission critical' database with fresh
> 'week after expiration date' data. May be weeks later after 'issue'
> with
> VM restart.
> 2) SR live migration is still very important feature I very hope to see.
> 3) Those leases will create additional IO. F.e. if we do have ~20k VMs
> (not really large number for clouds of new age) and lease is 10 minutes,
> it wll create ~33 IOPS - equivalent about 60-70 VMs (according to
> statistic from our cloud).
> 4) how do you plan to guarantee to tapdisk shutdown (this is NFS, if
> server is down or some issues with connectivity, there is no way to
> shut
> down locked in IO process)?
> 5) I think 30s is not very good number. Linux kernel starts to throwing
> IO errors after 120 seconds of IO wait.
> 6) about this library: '''you also need to make sure that your clocks
> are properly synchronized. """ I think this must add requirement to
> coexisting of hosts: do not allow to plug nfs sr until clock is synced
> with master. (Same for cross-pool migration - reject migration if clock
> is out of sync, but allow to shoot own leg with --force).

I see what you mean, perhaps leasing isn't a good idea.

Perhaps we can take advantage of driver domains (which we'll have good support
for soon).

We could:

* acquire a lock (not a lease) whenever we use a .vhd file
* in the driver domain, a single process will send heartbeat I/O to the NFS
server
* each tapdisk inside the driver domain is unmodified (so no tapdisk lease
refresh generating extra I/O)
* when the heartbeat I/O fails for more than 'n' seconds (TBD), the whole
domain is rebooted (either cleanly or forcibly by the hypervisor watchdog?)
* when another host (the pool master?) sees the driver domain has shutdown, it
knows it can forcibly release the locks since all the buffers will have been
thrown away

I quite like the idea of sending some heartbeats to the NFS server, since we
don't really handle (or even detect) storage failure very well at the moment.

If we also support blkback/blkfront reconnect then the guest VBDs will be able
to reconnect after the driver domain has rebooted-- that would be good.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Dave