Re: [Xen-API] VCPUs-at-startup and VCPUs-max with NUMA node affinity

  • To: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: James Bulpin <James.Bulpin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:56:14 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:56:50 +0000

Thanks Dave.

Dave wrote:
> IIRC the domain builder needs to know the VCPUs-max. VCPUs-at-startup
> is implemented by a protocol over xenstore where there's a directory:
>
> cpu = ""
>  0 = ""
>   availability = "online"
>  1 = ""
>   Availability = "online"
>
> Which tells the PV kernel that it should disable/hotunplug (or not)
> certain vCPUs. I'm not sure but I imagine the guest receives the
> xenstore watch event, deregisters the vCPU with its scheduler and then
> issues a hypercall telling xen to stop scheduling the vCPU too. It's
> certainly has to be a co-operative thing, since if xen just stopped
> scheduling a vCPU that would probably have some bad effects on the
> guest :) It's slightly odd that the protocol allows per-vCPU control,
> when I'm not convinced that you can meaningfully tell them apart.

Presumably the in-guest CPU enumeration matches the enumeration in xenstore so
it does know which is which. Although xapi currently doesn't allow it I believe
independent hot plug/unplug of vCPUs works in Xen and would be useful where
topology is exposed to the guest (e.g. if a guest has a unity pinned set of
vCPUs == pCPUs and the user wishes to unplug a vCPU on each socket that may
mean unplugging vCPU 3 (on socket 0) and vCPU 7 (on socket 1) - I think this
comes in xapi NUMA support phase 2 - which reminds me: my original comments
were in the context of the current xapi behaviour of not exposing topology to
the guest).

Cheers,
James