[Xen-API] xapi restarts

  • To: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 10:35:04 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 May 2012 09:36:00 +0000

Hi,

I thought this article was interesting:

http://blog.nella.org/?p=879

It describes how nginx can perform zero downtime upgrades by:
* fork and exec'ing the new process, deliberately passing in the listening HTTP
socket
* completing the processing of old requests and shutting down the old server

I wonder if we could use a similar trick in xapi to handle those occasions when
we must restart, without causing interruption to clients? We're already quite
adept at fd-passing via sendmsg/recvmsg :-)

Cheers,
Dave