Re: [Xen-API] [XCP-1.1] High OVS cpu load and unresponsive host network while VMPR archive phase is running

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 1:01 AM, Christian Fischer
<christian.fischer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 02 August 2012 23:46:18 George Shuklin wrote:
>> In product environment I saw that behavior few times. ovs-* processes
>> starts to consume lot of cpu (over 100%) and start to cause packets drops.
>>
>> That usually happens with 'hacked' customer VMs (sudden spike of
>> outgoing traffic, cpu, and in few cases we assisted in research, actual
>> trojans running on server because of some stupid php misconfiguration in
>> yet another phpbb/cms/durpal/etc).
>
> We have no customer VMs there, and we watch the vm traffic. Nothing unusual.
> The
> archive phase is running. It's 100% reproducible.
>
> I suppose that, in my case, it has something to do with with the OpenFlow
> controller (Citrix DVS Controller) we tried to evaluate. Currently we do some
> tests in an testing environment to work out the problem.
>
> But by the way, what do you do to protect your production environment against
> crashing caused by flooding the network? IIRC Jesse Gross told something about
> some work on patches preventing a single vm from being able to render the
> network unresponsive, maybe a year ago. What's the state?

Those patches went into OVS 1.4.  They provide fairness by picking up
packets in a round robin manner across ports.  OVS will still try to
handle them as quickly as possible though so the CPU usage will still
go to 100%.