Re: [Xen-API] Post upgrade to xcp 1.5 some VM's "Boot Device: Hard drive - failure: could not read boot disk"

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 18:00:51 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 14:01:08 +0000

Your are talking about HVM or PV guests?

Not sure if this somehow related to that problem, but here some vm/vbd attributes to play with:

vbd:
bootable=true/false

vm:
HVM-boot-policy (separate PV from HVM)
HVM-boot-params

05.09.2012 16:37, Nathanial Byrnes ÐÐÑÐÑ:
Hello,
        I have recently done a number of bad things to my XCP 1.0 environment.
I believed most of them sorted. Then I upgraded from XCP 1.0 to 1.5 by way of
1.1. The bad things involved moving the shared storage backend from NFS to
Glusterfs, monkeying with the SR and its PBD's, losing all the vm vbd's in the
process having to manually find and remap the VDI's to the correct VM. Once I
survived all of that self induced unpleasantness, I decided to upgrade to
1.5.... (obviously a genius behind this keyboard) After the upgrade some VM's
boot and run as before, but others attempt to boot, then the console shows the
subject message and shut down after 30 seconds. Please note that the
functioning VM's are from the name SR/PBD as the non-functioning ones. Also, I
can attach the non-booting vdi's to Dom0 and mount/fdisk them without issue. My
question is: how do I further interrogate / investigate this boot process
failure and success to ID the source of the issue?

        Thanks very much in advance.

        Regards,
        Nate