Re: [Xen-API] 2 questions XCP beta and ubuntu xapi

Hi Mx,

My first question will sound stupid and will lead into the 2nd ...I have
been using XCP beta for a bit now and really like its stability. .after
finally making the decision to put xen on my nas box (non vt cpu's) i
tried unbuntu of many flavors 12.4  and could not get xapi and xen to
work after many  many hours. I finally tossed up my hands and tossed the
XCPbeta1.4.90 cd in and had that installed and talking to my xencenter
pc in  about 10 mins !!!! big thumbs up..
I have 3-2tb disks in there i would like to use for storage but they
have residual guid (i dd them all the way----still there) on them from
iscsi and ntfs.....when i went to start parted it aint there...the
QUESTION how and where do i get packages for this (these) installs I am
a debian guy so rpm is new to me but yum looks about the same as apt if
i just knew where to go and how to cheat the version. It is a silly
question but having looked for a couple hours i still havent found an
answer to this very basic task at least for xcp.

In order to use yum on XCP you have to enable Centos repositores with something like this :

sed -i -e "s/enabled=0/enabled=1/" /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo

then you should be able to install package with yum install. However you have to be carefull about the fact that some package are tailored by the XCP project, like the lvm package and that if you install an upgrade to lvm from the Centos repo, then your XCP server is screwed up. I remember a thread about how to prevent upgrade of some packages, but I couldn't find it.

In house we use the Centos repo to install mainly monitoring stuff (nagios nrpe, munin, etc.) and didn't bumped into any issues.

Cheers,

Denis

the second question. i did 4-5 clean installs on that same machine with
ubuntu following their guide and some of the old ones around and as soon
as i installed xapi they would break. There are a few bugs there
...installer doesnt play nice with lvm if you change your mind and (one
wasted install) and a few others i ran into.. basically as soon  i fixed
one thing something else would pop up and they seemed to be mostly
openvswitch even when i went regular bridge. i never did get a xen on
ubuntu working with xapi (xen-ok mostly) i think the scripts are fobar a
bit and dependancies need work and im not sure what ubuntu does with
sysv it isnt standard or debian  . Is there anyone that has a working
xen 4-1 on ubuntu 12.4 on a older machine, this one has dual Xeon
Naconas 3ghz hyperthreaded (4 cores total-non vt) ...and if so how did
you do it? I really wanted this for a media server and ubuntu would have
been a nice way to go as a one shot with plenty left over for a couple
more vm's, I may try again and try to bug report it.. it looks so simple
on the install pages... I will say this they have a cloud demo on a
thumb that was flawless..up untill i tried to install xapi and couldnt
update grub on the thumb.
thank you to anyone that takes the time.
Mx

This body part will be downloaded on demand.

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems