Re: [Xen-API] [XCP 1.6 BETA] Joining a XCP 1.1 pool with a XCP 1.6 host

  • To: Sébastien RICCIO <sr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: John Else <john.else@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 15:47:54 +0100
  • Accept-language: en-US
  • Acceptlanguage: en-US
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 14:48:41 +0000

Hi Sébastien,

It's not possible to join XCP hosts of different versions into a pool - the
only time XCP hosts of different versions should be in a pool together is
during a rolling pool upgrade.

As for the reason you're seeing PLATFORM_VERSION = Unknown ...

PLATFORM_VERSION isn't actually defined in XCP 1.1 - it's a new field, added in
XCP 1.5 I believe. The intention is that PLATFORM_VERSION is shared between the
equivalent versions of XCP and XenServer (and is used for checks during pool
join, rolling pool upgrade etc.). Older versions of XCP will have
PRODUCT_VERSION defined (e.g XCP 1.1 has PRODUCT_VERSION = 1.1) but from XCP
1.6 onwards PRODUCT_VERSION is not defined - it's now treated as a "cosmetic"
field which is only defined in commercial XenServer.

This is all part of Project Swizzle which has been mentioned on this list now
and then - the intention being that our build system will produce XCP and
XenServer ISOs simultaneously, rather than the current situation where
XenServer needs quite a bit of hacking before it can be turned into XCP.

John