Re: [Xen-API] [ovs-dev] [XCP] OVS-1.4.2 BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 05:37:49 +0400
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 01:37:31 +0000

We adopted OVS 1.4.3 few weeks ago into XCP 1.1.

No crashes (related to OVS) detected up to now in very large installation, and old ugly bug with slowly bloating ovs-vswitchd gone.

We done that process in very slow manner (all hosts was upgraded within about 6 weeks after 2 week test run on single host and prior lab testing for about 4 weeks).

Bugs or non-trivial staff found:

1) new ovs do have new policy for MTU handling. Native ovs from XCP 1.1 when found ethX interface unable to change MTU to jumbo sizes, fall back to original MTU for bridge itself. New OVS now spamming in dmesg (or messages?) about this, but did not change.
2) It contains new script ovs-vlan-bug-workaround, which failing on default xs kernel. And our tests shows that OVS is incompatible with vanilla (upstream) version of ixgbe driver and VLAN's (we using vanilla instead instead XCP's one).
3) message

Nov 08 02:00:15|72792|netdev|WARN|failed to get flags for network device vif75.0: No such device

starts to appear in vswitch's log. Still under research, seems be some /etc/xensource/scripts/vif lines are executed for already dead vif (no problem so on).