Re: [Xen-API] [ovs-dev] [XCP] OVS-1.4.2 BUG: unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference

On Thursday 08 November 2012 02:37:49 George Shuklin wrote:
> We adopted OVS 1.4.3 few weeks ago into XCP 1.1.
>
> No crashes (related to OVS) detected up to now in very large
> installation, and old ugly bug  with slowly bloating ovs-vswitchd gone.
>
> We done that process in very slow manner (all hosts was upgraded within
> about 6 weeks after 2 week test run on single host and prior lab testing
> for about 4 weeks).

George,
thanks for the details. Helpful.

> Bugs or non-trivial staff found:
>
> 1) new ovs do have new policy for MTU handling. Native ovs from XCP 1.1
> when found ethX interface unable to change MTU to jumbo sizes, fall back
> to original MTU for bridge itself. New OVS now spamming in dmesg (or
> messages?) about this, but did not change.

Not a problem here, jumbo size MTU is enabled for ixgbe devices.

Other non-trivial staff:
/opt/xensource/libexec/interface-reconfigure: rename_netdev is removed and XCP
insist on renaming devices.

Workaround: uncomment rename_netdev code

> 2) It contains new script ovs-vlan-bug-workaround, which failing on
> default xs kernel. And our tests shows that OVS is incompatible with
> vanilla (upstream) version of ixgbe driver and VLAN's (we using vanilla
> instead instead XCP's one).

Why do you use vanilla ixgbe?