Re: [Xen-API] NFS Tuning - How To

Hi!

Thanks, you give me a chance to share my expirience in straggle with poor NFS performance in XCP 1.6.x

First of all, you just need to check mounting options issued by NFS client in XEN.

You should see something like

#mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
10.1.0.42:/var/storage1/ISO on /var/run/sr-mount/0f61bf48-650b-41e6-183f-6231f763468f type nfs (rw,soft,timeo=133,retrans=2147483647,tcp,acregmax=1,acdirmax=1,addr=10.1.0.42)
#

In my case you see final result, which works rather fine for me.
But in case you will find noac option inside brackets - yes, it there!

Open theÂ/opt/xensource/sm/nfs.py and jump onto the 66 line.
You would seeÂnear code something likeÂ

options += ',noac' # CA-27534

You just need to comment out this line of code and reattach you NFS or NFS ISO storage to check performance.
In our case the VM protection policy archiving process to NFS storage became 10x faster.

You can do even more and google the "noac CA-27534".

I sure you will find about year old patchÂ

-ÂÂÂÂoptionsÂ+=Â',noac'Â#ÂCA-27534
Â72
+
Â73
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂAttributeÂcachingÂcanÂleadÂtoÂstaleÂdata,ÂsoÂweÂcanÂtryÂtoÂminimizeÂthese
Â74
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂproblemsÂbyÂreducingÂtheÂcachingÂtime.ÂGoingÂrightÂdownÂtoÂzeroÂdoesÂnot
Â75
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂremoveÂraceÂconditionsÂ(ratherÂjustÂmakesÂthemÂmoreÂunlikely)Âwhile
Â76
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂintroducingÂsomeÂseriousÂperformanceÂpenaltiesÂforÂtheÂNFSÂfilesystem.
Â77
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂSoÂweÂgetÂ99%ÂofÂtheÂwayÂthereÂwithoutÂtheÂmassiveÂperformanceÂpenalties
Â78
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂbyÂgoingÂforÂ1Âsecond.
Â79
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂTheÂcorrectÂsolutionÂtoÂcasesÂwhereÂyouÂneedÂup-to-dateÂinformationÂisÂto
Â80
+ÂÂÂÂ#ÂuseÂfileÂlockingÂprimitives,ÂasÂtheÂlockÂoperationÂwillÂforceÂthe
Â81
+ÂÂÂÂ#Âgetattr()ÂandÂensureÂnoÂconcurrentÂoperations.
Â82
+ÂÂÂÂoptionsÂ+=Â',acregmax=1'
Â83
+ÂÂÂÂoptionsÂ+=Â',acdirmax=1'

noac option suddenly found in XCP 1.6.x as well as in XS 6.x.

I thind develepers can describe why mentionedÂaboveÂpatch was not pulled to final version.

Mentioned above noac option definately didn't present in XS 5.6. I did not check it in XCP 1.4.9.

Hope above will help.

Finally i want to note that you have to edit manually nfs.py on every member of pool.