Re: [Xen-API] Unable to move VMs between XCP hosts? odd.

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Michael @ Professional Edge LLC" <m3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:55:40 -0700
  • Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 20:56:14 +0000

Evgeniy,

Well it wasn't a problem with /etc/securetty. But you got me thinking in the right direction! THANK YOU!

One of my folks had installed a pam module - to restrict access to login to root - except from a specific set of internal IP addresses.

Somehow this:
/etc/pam.d/system-auth
##################
account     required      pam_access.so
##################

/etc/security/access.conf
##################
+ : root : 10.0.0.0/8 127.0.0.1
- : root : ALL
##################

Blocks all ability to login to ROOT ( including SU ) - when there is no IP address configured on the Interfaces ( which of course happens by default when you import the VM ).

The moment there is a IP on the primary NIC - everything works properly again.

So procedurally - I will do the following going forward.

1. EDIT - /etc/pam.d/system-auth ( DELETE the line - "account required pam_access.so" )
2. Export the VM from source XCP Host.
3. Import the VM from the VDI file into the target XCP Host.
4. Login configure IPs on the imported VM
5. Re-ADD the PAM line deleted in Step#1.

Hope this chatter helps someone else in the future.

-Michael