Re: [Xen-API] xenserver-core meta-question

  • To: John Morris <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Dave Scott <Dave.Scott@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:43:05 +0000
  • Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
  • Cc: "xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 09:43:21 +0000

Hi,

> On Oct 30, 2013, at 6:11 AM, "John Morris" <john@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> I've been playing with xenserver-core now for over two weeks, and I've
> solved quite a handful of problems.  The rate at which new ones are
> cropping up, though, is a little more than I can handle alone.

Thanks for all your feedback so far. Most of the fixing effort has been going
into the upstream source repos and in making the packages easy to build. The
rpm/deb binary snapshots (the tech preview and the latest-snapshot) haven't
been refreshed for a while. I think the investment in making it all easy to
build is worthwhile, because it'll allow you to build your own rather than
waiting for a binary repo to be updated.

> I've posted about quite a number of them, but the few responses I've
> received indicate that nobody else is actively playing with this, too.
> Is that true?  Anyone know how committed Citrix and other devs are to
> stabilizing xenserver-core on the EL6 platform?

The xenserver-core build is focusing on EL6 (since xenserver is based on EL*)
and Ubuntu. We're going through a stabilization phase atm which should take a
week or two. After that we plan to upgrade to xen-4.3 which has improved
support for ceph out-of-the-box. I'd recommend checking that out.

> Hopefully I won't be flamed at the stake for asking, but what other VM
> technologies are reasonably stable on the EL6 platform and also
> integrate well with Ceph?

I'm not qualified to answer (and have left my stake at home) but you could ask
on the centos-virt list. One xen-based possibility is to use the patched xen
4.2 rpm from xenserver-core and the "xl" toolstack.

Cheers,
Dave