[Xen-API] Help : How to Trace all of VM lifecycle events?

  • To: xen-api@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Youngsang Shin <ysshin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 16:53:40 +0900
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 31 Oct 2013 13:03:28 +0000

Hi,

I'm looking for a method to trace all of lifecycle events for each of VMs in XenServers.

To monitor the below example information:
1) to build a hierarchy of VMs
Â: which VM is a parent of some VMs (which VM was copied from)
2) every single lifecycle event of each VM
Â: when it was created, shutdowned, restarted, copied, live-migrated, etc

I've tried to parse the log, xensource.log. However, it doesn't log every lifecycle events clearly. It's pretty hard to follow each VM lifecycle command in the log.

At this point, I'm thinking of a way to watch XAPI events. But, I'm not sure if it would nicely work without any harsh complication.Â

Is there any nice way to trace all of such lifecycle events of VM?Â

Youngsang Shin