[Xen-API] Developer Dashboards for Xen Project sub-projects (need input)

Hi all,

I have been talking to a 3rd party vendor about creating a community development dashboard for the Xen Project at OWF and LinuxCon EU and found a vendor in the community to fund a beta. This is a relatively cheap hosted service which supports most open source infrastructure. The data gets sucked into a database and is owned by the project (although hosted and supported by the vendor). Any code changes they make for us are made available as open source via https://github.com/vizgrimoire.
  • Repo activity
  • Mailing list activity (as well as forums)
  • Code reviews
  • Bug activity (not currently supporting our tracker)
  • IRC
  • Etc.
Examples are:

The idea would be to create a dashboard for the Hypervisor, XAPI and Mirage projects focussing on repos, lists and code reviews first. We can extend out to other areas if this is attractive. This would make my life easier and the dashboard has some functionality to spot community problems.

I wanted to start a discussion about this and what would be useful. For the Hypervisor for example, we could track activity on xen.git and osstest.git on master as well as stable branches (not sure whether there is any point in tracking activity on staging branches). There is also stuff they can do such as map activity/authors/<almost anything you may want to ask> to code, etc. See the example below which maps authors to kernel components.

The mailing lists plugins are quite sophisticated apparently (they have support for the Linux kernel and its workflow) and have a lot of filtering and tagging capabilities. For example it should be possible to
* Model our code review process and link it to commits (assuming that in the majority of cases there is a mapping between patch series and commit, e.g. via commit message or similar). I believe in our case we do have a mapping which would enable this.
* It can in theory handle osstest mails and xenbugs, etc. - although this will probably require customization which will add extra set-up cost
* We can track specific keywords in list conversations (e.g. arm, etc. as useful) and create custom views if we want to

There is probably a lot more which can be done, but I believe that git activity, code review and list activity are most valuable for now. We may be able to use this for PVOPS and other upstreams too, but usefulness is an open question.

We can do similar things for XAPI and Mirage.

So what I am looking for is
a) a discussion on the list on what might be useful, and
b) a number of volunteers (ideally one per project) who will work with me and the vendor getting this off the ground

Regards
Lars
P.S.: The UI generally sucks a little (to be more correct, the definitions of what what means are not self explanatory in the UI)