Re: [Xen-API] [Xen-devel] Developer Dashboards for Xen Project sub-projects (need input)

. snip..
> I wanted to start a discussion about this and what would be useful.
> For the Hypervisor for example, we could track activity on xen.git
> and osstest.git on master as well as stable branches (not sure
> whether there is any point in tracking activity on staging
> branches). There is also stuff they can do such as map
> activity/authors/<almost anything you may want to ask> to code, etc.
> See the example below which maps authors to kernel components.
>
> The mailing lists plugins are quite sophisticated apparently (they
> have support for the Linux kernel and its workflow) and have a lot
> of filtering and tagging capabilities. For example it should be
> possible to
> * Model our code review process and link it to commits (assuming
> that in the majority of cases there is a mapping between patch
> series and commit, e.g. via commit message or similar). I believe in
> our case we do have a mapping which would enable this.
> * It can in theory handle osstest mails and xenbugs, etc. - although
> this will probably require customization which will add extra set-up
> cost
> * We can track specific keywords in list conversations (e.g. arm,
> etc. as useful) and create custom views if we want to
>
> There is probably a lot more which can be done, but I believe that
> git activity, code review and list activity are most valuable for
> now. We may be able to use this for PVOPS and other upstreams too,
> but usefulness is an open question.

pvops is mostly Linus upstream. We have some patches - but every
merge window we flush them out to Linus.

> We can do similar things for XAPI and Mirage.
>
> So what I am looking for is
> a) a discussion on the list on what might be useful, and
> b) a number of volunteers (ideally one per project) who will work
> with me and the vendor getting this off the ground

I like the idea of getting an idea of 'we are getting less and less
commits in this area' as a way to figure out what needs attention
(or perhaps no need).

But not every week, not every month either - quaterly is nice enough.
Or maybe once a year (say at Xen Summit?). But that should be possible
already right? Or is it a major pain to create those nice graphs?

What is the overall goal?

From my PoV my feeling is that:
 a). I need to hire more folks
 b). I have more things we want to do than there are
     developers.

And I think the same is true for everybody else. But I don't know
if this dashboard will help in this regards?

Or is it a way to use that information to figure out overall
trends of changes + test coverage -> good/bad patch ratio?