Re: [Xen-API] xe vdi-resize and effects on snapshots

On 11/11/14 19:03, Mark Benson wrote:
On 11/11/2014 17:49, Germano Percossi wrote:
Hi Mark,

You can grow a VDI without invalidating the snapshot chain.
If this is what you observed, that's reassuring.
If not, let us know.

That seemed to be the case, yes. The snapshots were also restoring the
VDI size at the time of snapshot. I assume that's intended to make the
snapshot contents match the disk size?

When you grown a VDI, you grow only the involved leaf of the chain (if any).
I do not wanna go into much detail just because I could be wrong in
some respects, but basically only the leaf VHD is resized while
the other VHDs in the chain are untouched. That's why when you
restore them you see the "old" size.

The resized VHD knows which blocks can be read (if not "dirty")
from the chain and which ones exists only because of the size growth.

As long as you stick with the official CLI and not using "internal"
commands,it is fine.

I was using Citrix XenCenter as a management GUI, which seems to be
pretty robust (although occasionally short on error messages).

OK. XenCenter and xapi CLI are fine.

My query was more that I wanted to know the expected case, not that I'd
had an anomaly. Thanks for clearing that up!

You're welcome.

Germano