Re: [Xen-devel] Time in Xen

> I have a strange problem. One of my various xen test boxes doesn't
> accept to set its time. Basically, it's stuck to RTC time.
>
> ntpdate, date, hwclock all "seem" to work, but they don't actually
> change the system time. The only way I have to change it right now is
> to change it in the BIOS, which is not a good thing.
>
> Since I heavily "stripped down" the Debian version on this box, maybe
> I broke something somewhere.

Sadly, settimeofday is broken :-(

In domain 0 it ought to set a new time down in Xen, visible to all
domains.

> While I'm trying to debug how settimeofday() syscall work, I'm
> wondering if there is some cross-domain time synchronization : are
> they always in perfect sync, or should I run some kind of ntp stuff in
> each subdomain ? Or only domain 0 would be enough ?

If settimeofday in domain 0 would update the RTC via Xen, then that
would be adequate. All other domains automatically remain synchronized
with the RTC.

This shouldn't be a hard fix -- Rolf may have done it already but not
checked it in!

 Cheers,
 Keir