Re: [Xen-devel] Please help on Xen installation

> I am trying to install Xen on my running Linux server. I followed the
> steps of README.CD and copied image.gz and xenolinux.gz to /boot
> directory. Then an entry in grub.conf was added as following:
> title Xen / XenoLinux 2.4.22
>         kernel /boot/image.gz dom0_mem=131072 ser_baud=115200 noht
>         module /boot/xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda4 ro console=tty0
>
> After reboot, the system complained file can not be found. So I made the
> change to
>         kernel /image.gz dom0_mem=131072 ser_baud=115200 noht
>         module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda4 ro console=tty0

I'd check the location of you've copied the two files -- it
sounds a lot like they've ended up in root. Have you got a
separate /boot partition per chance? I think the standard Grub
documentation should help you.

> kernel /image.gz dom0_mem=131072 ser_baud=115200 noht
>    [Multiboot-elf, <0x100000:0xce3f0:0x1c430>, shtab=0x1eb258,
> entry=0x100000]
> module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda4 console=tty0
>    [Multiboot-module @ 0x206000, 0x18b8cc bytes]
>
> Then I can see many strange characters on the screen. Then the machine
> rebooted. Any suggestions?

Hmm, that's not good.

Unless you have a serial port connected, you might want to remove
the ser_baud line from grub.conf. Also, you might want to add the
'ignorebiostables' to the 'kernel' part of the grub.conf, just in
case Xen is getting confused by your hardware.

Can you tell us a bit more about your system? e.g. CPU(s),
chipset, SCSI card, network card etc.

Thanks,
Ian