Re: [Xen-devel] New kernel won't boot

> For grub with 'noreboot' it goes through the whole boot
> process, identifies the SCSI drives and network:
>
> Device eth0 opened and ready for use
> DOM0: Guest OS virtual load address is c0000000

This is a weird one -- we haven't seen anyone else with this problem.

Things are going wrong very early in the dom0 boot process.

Please could you go into xenolinux-2.4.22/kernel/printk.c and
"#if 1" the HYPERVISOR_console_write in printk. hopefully this
will produce a bit more debug output before the xenolinux
explodes.

> The full grub commands are:
>
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /xenimage.gz dom0_mem=512000 ser_baud=115000 noht
>         module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=/dev/tty0 DOMID=0
>
> As mentioned, /dev/sda2 is ReiserFS.

This looks sane -- the ReiserFS shouldn't make any difference. I
forget: what happens when you boot a standard default
configuration. It will obviously fail to mount the reiserfs
rootfs, but does it get that far?

Adding a "console=xenocons0" might generate more debug.

> Also as mentioned, I do not think any of the binaries built
> during xeno-clone were copied to /bin or /usr/bin.  Maybe these
> are the missing piece.

You shouldn't need the binaries until you begin starting other
domains. It's important that you use the xi_* binaries that were
built with the appropriate Xen version.

> In case you'll suggest building an initrd, it looks like
> no modules were installed (I then tried "make install" by hand
> in the kernel build directory, but it still didn't install any
> modules.  Strange, because I think that some were selected
> in the kernel's .config):

You shouldn't need an initrd.

> I could not get high memory (either 4GB or 64GB) to compile with the
> new kernel, but it should be able to utilize 2GB with no problem.

We haven't currently got either Highmem (4GB) or PAE36 (64GB)
support. Adding the former should be easy. The latter requires
changes to Xen as well, and is a fair amount of work. We haven't
any machines with >4GB, so it hasn't been a priority.

Best,
Ian