[Xen-devel] Network issues with SuSE firewall

  • To: xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Gregory Newby" <newby@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2003 12:53:24 -0900
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Nov 2003 21:54:30 +0000

First, I noted that xen_nat_enable was *not* built along with the
other tools in xeno-clone/install/bin.  Is this still needed (per the
README.CD instructions, for a NAT-based virtual host, rather than
IP-based)?

I copied & ran the xen_nat_enable from the CD, and immediately was
unable to access my machine to/from the network (I had already run
"ifconfig eth0:0 169.254.1.0 up").

What I found was that the SuSEfirewall default configuration did not
get along well with whatever changes to iptables were made by
xen_nat_enable.  My solution, which needs to be tuned later, was to
edit /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 to greatly loosen the firewall.  I
then restarted it:

        /etc/rc.d/SuSEfirewall2_init restart
        /etc/rc.d/SuSEfirewall2_setup restart
        /etc/rc.d/SuSEfirewall2_final restart

The changes I made (again, these are certainly TOO MANY changes, but
as you'll see in my next note there are still problems with network
access to the virtual systems):

127c127
< FW_DEV_INT="eth0:0"
---
> FW_DEV_INT=""
164c164
< FW_ROUTE="yes"
---
> FW_ROUTE="no"
179c179
< FW_MASQUERADE="yes"
---
> FW_MASQUERADE="no"
201c201
< FW_MASQ_NETS="169.254.1.0"
---
> FW_MASQ_NETS=""
217c217
< FW_PROTECT_FROM_INTERNAL="no"
---
> FW_PROTECT_FROM_INTERNAL="yes"
254c254
< FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="2200:2300 2049 http ssh rsync ftp smtp"
---
> FW_SERVICES_EXT_TCP="2049 http ssh"

Of course, your firewall configuration might be different.
  -- Greg