Re: [Xen-devel] Changelog, FreeBSD, images, and experiences

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 09:06, Ian Pratt wrote:

> There's effectively a changelog on the xen.bkbits.net web site,
> but I suspect it's too fine grained to be useful to anyone but
> the developers. Whenever we add significant new functionality
> (which seems to be happening at least once a week at the moment!)
> something gets posted to xen-devel. However, I suspect having an
> 'executive summary' changelog would be very useful for real
> users.

Yes, a summary changelog would be nice.  I'm looking for it so I can
look for possible features that I do not know exist yet and then try to
find out how to use it from the code :)

> > 3) I'm looking for user experiences with running virtual servers on
> > different hardware.   Does anyone wish to share their experiences with
> > how many virtual servers they've been able to load on servers and the
> > specs and workload?  How well they performed would be nice too.
>
> How long is a piece of string ;-)
>
> It's so dependent on all the guest's workload and the performance
> of the particular machine. For some applications e.g. honeypots,
> running hundreds of domains might be appropriate, for others,
> just a couple per CPU. The worst case overhead we've ever seen
> running applications each in their own guest vs. running them
> under the same OS is just a few percent. Some times you actually
> go faster because of no buffer cache interference etc.

I guess i'll have to rely on my own testing then :)  I was just
wondering what other peoples experiences were so I could get a larger
picture of the general opinion of Xen.

I do have one technical question, has anyone used any other method of
virtual disks besides the one included (ie. loopback files, LVM) ?
Pardon me not trying this out first, i'm still building the Xen /
XenoLinux images on my (slow) test box.

--
Thanks,
Matt Ayres