Re: [Xen-devel] Installation

On 19 Nov 2003, at 18:34, Gregory Newby wrote:

I strongly suspect there is something "Redhat-like" that
xenolinux expects, or simply something missing or misplaced
from the SuSE 9 distribution I'm using.  I futzed extensively,
and ended up building a / (on an alternate partition) for the
guest OS which came mostly from the CD, with pieces copied
in from elsewhere.  There were numerous tweaks I made, and
as usual it's not clear in retrospect which ones really mattered.

If I'm right, this is good news for distros "like" RedHat
(i.e., Mandrake & Gentoo).  Not so good news for unlike
distros (Slackware, Debian, SuSE...).

Keir, Ian, Steven and I are all in the Computer Laboratory
at University of Cambridge. In the Laboratory, the only
Linux distribution (i.e. the official one) is Redhat. Therefore,
XenoLinux's default configuration may be a little bit
'Redhat-inclined'.

However, I personally test Xen and XenoLinux with Debian
on my laptop (which somehow proves Xen's quite safe ;-)
And I don't see any configuration problem at all.
As for Suse, your mileage may vary.