Re: [Xen-devel] compile fixes for mini-os

I've attached the full diff as well as interface.tex. I sent
interface.tex to Ian, but haven't got any ack back.

> Personally I dislike the warnings GCC emits when it's placed in
> super-anal mode. I would never take fixes for Xen or Xenolinux to stop
> those warnings since I think GCC should be run with a more permissive
> set of options.

I admit that many of the options are just plain annoying. However, in
one instance you were casting away volatile, which could get you in
trouble. There are more mundane problems that could cause issues, such
as signed/unsigned comparisons. I would argue that you might as well
never use the const qualifier if you're just going to cast it away in
most cases. In addition you frequently do pointer arithmetic with void
pointers, you're just relying on the compiler to know that you really
mean char pointer. The changes to inline usage are neccessary to get
the code to compile at all with -ansi.

> For the mini-os I'll give the patches some thought. I guess it's being
> used as a starting point for ports that may use a different compiler
> or have a predetermined set of command-line options, so perhaps it
> makes sense...

Your point is taken for Xen. However, a lot of environments are more
restrictive, so it would be a service to users to accomodate them in
that respect.

> PS. Please send your documentation updates when you think it's
> worthwhile. They'll be vey useful!
> .

It is pretty incomplete as things stand, but it might provide a
sufficient start so that others would feel happy adding a bit here
and there as the pieces fall into place for them.