Re: [Xen-devel] Re: "Barry Silverman": Setting GDT entries for Thread Local Storage

Keir Fraser wrote:

I am trying to port the Fedora version of Linux to xeno-linux. It involves
porting the NPTL Library (New Posix Thread Library), and TLS (Thread Local
Storage) kernel changes which Redhat backported from 2.6 into 2.4.

This shoudl all work straightforwardly, unless TLS tries to install
segments that are "full size" (i.e. 4GB). I know that one of the
recent glibc threading solutions tries to do this --- it won't work
with Xen because we clip segments so that they do not overlap with
Xen's reserved area in the top 64MB of the virtual address space.
I don't want to throw a monkeywrench in your plans, but another potential trouble spot is the x86 vsyscall interface in 2.6. The vsyscall region sits at the top of the virtual address space, and could conflict with the Xen mapping. You may have to consider remapping Xen to another memory region, but I'm not sure where there may be other trouble areas with Windows domains (map?). At some point in the forseeable future, it might no longer be possible to locate Xen at an OS neutral location, so perhaps it is worth considering the remapping problem now.

Zachary Amsden
zamsden@xxxxxxxxx