Re: [Xen-devel] PHY vs. VD benchmark

> I suspect you might be able to increase the performance by using a different
> extent size.  The VD management code allocates extents of "initialised"
> physical disks.  The extent size for a device can be specified when it's
> initialised.  The default is 64 megabytes.  A 4 gigabyte virtual disk would
> make for 64 extents of 64 meg.  A long list of extents could be slowing down
> the disk address translation in Xen, resulting in poorer benchmark results.
> At some stage I might rethink the default extent size.

The correct fix is to get rid of the linear linked lists.

A good way to do this is to use a buddy allocator for allocating VDs:
you track power-of-two multiples of 64MB free disc space, and try to
create VDs out of the largest possible extents. Within Xen you can
then use a truncated radix tree to map virtual extents to real extents
--- Linux has code we can use for truncated radix trees.

 -- Keir