RE: [Xen-devel] Creating a local network within the GuestOS and r outing to an ext ernal network

What is the timeframe for the L2 switching to be incorporated into the Xen dev tree?  Is there any way to learn more about its design while the implementation is still cookin'?

> The VFR in the mainline tree only supports IPv4. However, Mike Wray has developed a
> L2 network switch support for Xen, which will hopefully be checked in soon. One
> side effect of L2 Ethernet MAC switching support would be that I expect IPv6 will
> just work as Xen is no longer needing to look deeper than the Ethernet header.
> (Xen won't be able to enforce IP firewalling for you, but if you're passing it
> through a domain for NAT you can do it there anyhow.)

The L2 switching would make my life much easier.  For me, all the XenoLinux GuestOSes are all trusted clients, and each deals with its own firewall issues.  I suspect that others want to have Xen take care of firewalling outside of the other Xeno containers, but that is not an issue for me and I'd love to see this feature.

By the way, what is the schedule for the new IO model?

Charlie Woloszynski
Innovative Concepts Inc.
703-893-2007 x506
charles.woloszynski@xxxxxxxxxxx