Re: [Xen-devel] debian packages of xen

> I have debian packages of xen just about done.  I'm creating 10 debs,
> containin the various parts of the library, tools, and kernels.

Cool -- remind me to add a link on the Xen web pages when you're done.

> There are currently 2 things keeping me from uploading them to debian itself.
>
> 2) The device nodes xen are block major 125.  This is marked as
> LOCAL/EXPERIMENTAL use, in Documentation/devices.txt.  Debian policy requires
> me to file a bug on makedev, as this tool is what is supposed to create device
> nodes.  I am reluctant to do this, when they are using this number.  Could
> this be changed to something more official?

I doubt the '/dev/xvdXX' device nodes are very widely used now
that Xen supports exporting disks and partition to arbitrary
block devices. I tend to just pick an arbitrary hdX or sdX I know
is unused.

Do other people use xvdX devices? If not, maybe we should
aim to dispense with them and recommend that people just pick
some pre-existing /dev entry?

Cheers,
Ian