Re: [Xen-devel] Xen x devfs

  • To: Xen - discussion list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: I RATTAN <rattan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:49:06 -0500 (EST)
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:58:48 +0000

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > In the same machine I have Mandrake 9 and Red Hat 7.3. I was able to run
> > Xen under RH, but when it comes to Mandrake, I get some errors while
> > trying to inicialize eth0. I suspect of some incompatibility betwenn Xen
> > and DEVFS. Could someone please help me?
>
> The standard xenolinux build config doesn't enable devfs. I
> imagine that if you build xenolinux with devfs enabled there's a
> pretty good chance it would just work.

I have tried to compile under Mandrake-9.1. Make oldconfig discards
most of the Mandrake options (I have had no success with make menuconfig
also). I do not have a compatible NIC, so cannot comment on that. How can
one preserve the working config settings of Mandrake with a view of
xenolinux compilation?

For a change I tried it under VMWare-4 work station. The boot process
starts, NIC (pcnet32) is detected bu xenollinux hangs during boot. I
vaguely recall that VMWare does not allow certain part of memory to
be allocated for OS (but misplaced the info). I can post the messges
to hang point if someone is interested.

> I haven't heard success reports or otherwise with Mandrake [can
> anyone else on the list comment?], but there's no reason why it
> can't be made to work -- we'll be happy to help you do so.

I did try the xen.gz and xenolinux.gz from 1.2 CD, it got rid
of most of the hardware config during boot process :-(

-ishwar