Re: [Xen-devel] Xen x devfs

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Ian Pratt wrote:

> > Looks like devfs is the culprit here, boot process fails with complaint
> > about root= message (even though /dev/hda5 is specified). Probably
> > time to try redhat..
>
> Do you mean that domain 0 fails to mount its root file system
> i.e. you haven't got INIT running yet?  Does the kernel command
> line get printed out OK as the domain boots?
I have no serial console.. the point where the boot process stops-->
NET4: UNIX domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
root_device_name = hda5
VFS: Can't open root device "hda5" or 03:05
Kernel panic: VFS: unable to mount root fs on 03:05
^^^
Entry for "root" in /etc/fstab is
/dev/hda5  /  ext3 default 1 1

Same entry does boot Mandrake-9.1 correctly (with grub entry)
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda5 devfs=mount hdc=ide-csi acpi=off
initrd /boot/initrd.img

Xenolinux grub entry used is:
root (hd0,4)
kernel /boot/xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 noacpi noht nosmp noreboot
module /boot/xenolinux.gz root=/dev/hda5 ro console=tty0

-ishwar