Re: [Xen-devel] Xen at scale

>       system info/logging -
>           It would be very handy to have total phys memory reported
>           somehow.   The cluster is heterogenous, and memory upgrades
>           happen, and the net result is I rely on /proc/meminfo to know
>           what is in each host.  The xenolinux meminfo just says what
>           that domain was allocated.   Is total RAM reported somewhere
>           I don't know?

In 1.2 you can find out how much memory a machine has by looking at Xen's boot
output (tools/misc/xen_dmesg.py).  The amount of memory is near the top, e.g.:

(XEN) Initialised all memory on a 255MB machine

If you run a later version of Xen there's also the physinfo stuff that Ian
mentioned.  I think there is already a very simple Python script that uses the
physinfo op to get the number of CPUs, hyperthreading info, CPU speed, total
physical memory and free physical memory.  It's in
tools/examples/xc_physinfo.py

>           Getting xen console output to a log file would be useful.
>          Running hundreds of xen_read_console is not so practical.
>          This would help in identifying those mysterious reboots.
>           Most hosts in this cluster do not have serial lines or heads
>          attached.  I think I saw console output was changing in 1.3
>          so maybe this has been worked on already.

If you mean domain console output, there is (I think) a daemon for logging
domain output into a file.  It's in tools/misc/xen_log.c and AFAIK will only
work on 1.2 and earlier.  I personally haven't used it but it might be
something like what you want.

HTH.

Mark