[Xen-devel] Forwarding page faults from within Xen

  • To: Xen list <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Jacob Gorm Hansen <jacob@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 12:36:23 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:38:08 +0000

hi,

in my work on live-migration I often need to write-protect domain pages.
Until now, I have taken special care of pages which Xen needs to write,
for instance current->thread.esp0, and page tables mapping network
buffers, as otherwise Xen will just kill my domain upon write fault.
This is becoming a bit of a hassle, so I am wondering if it would be
possible for Xen to simply forward page faults to the faulting domain
(microkernel style) instead of killing it?

I am probably going to try and implement this myself, unless someone can
tell me why this is a horrible idea.

Jacob