Re: [Xen-devel] Non-standard use of Xen I/O Architecture

> Would it be theoretically possible for Xen/Domain 0 to supply higher level
> services (E.G, sshd connection mapping, or VNC servers) running in custom
> built servers - to service simple guest (non-linux) drivers that use the
> evtchn/share memory interface?

Sure. Xen provides a great environment for developing custom OSes
without having to worry about about hardware device support etc.

With the new IO model, you could even provide the guest OS with
very high-level abstractions: For example, you could provide the
guest with a reliable byte stream network connection implemented
over an SSL or SSH connection in another domain.

> For example (and this is somewhat contrived...):
> I have a PDP-11 emulator that runs the ancient Unix (Thompson & Ritchie's
> original 1976 Unix 5th Edition). I would like to run the emulator, and the
> Unix as a guest (in fact more than one...).
>
> I would like someone SSH'ing in on specific ports to boot their own Ancient
> Unix, and to run it from the "console", as well as expose incoming ssh
> connections as Hardware terminal multiplexer ports.

Sure, all do-able with a bit of programming...

Ian