Re: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ? - SOLVED

Hi Jan,

I tried to reproduce this under VMware Workstation 4.0.1, but I have no trouble booting XenoLinux using the exact configuration you give below. I am guessing that a complete boot failure would most likely be caused by Grub loading the kernel incorrectly? I attached a screenshot in case you see anything extremely different.

Thanks,

Zachary Amsden
zach@xxxxxxxxxx

JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen) wrote:

Hi Keir and Ian.

Up and running now. The problem seems to be with VMware Workstation
4.0.1.

Both VMware GSX 2.5.1 and VMware Workstation 4.0.5 happily boots a
xen-ified RedHat 9. I originally tried the demo CD on VMware GSX 2.5.1
but it was not happy. So I tried VMware workstation which is 4.0.1 on my
home PC. I now tried it at work where I run 4.0.5 and that works like a
charm.

The working setup is as in my first posting:

Copy xen.gz and xenolinux.gz from the demo CD's /usr/boot/ to the
harddisk's /boot. Add this to grub's menu.lst:

title Xen
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=64000 watchdog noreboot ignorebiostables
        module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/sda2 ro console=tty0

Sorry for your trouble, and thanks again.

Cheers

-- Jan