RE: [Xen-devel] Xen on VMware - how to install ? - SOLVED

  • To: "Zachary Amsden" <zach@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "JHJE (Jan Holst Jensen)" <jhje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 16:49:42 +0200
  • Cc: <xen-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:55:32 +0100

> > I am guessing that a complete boot failure would most likely
> > be caused by Grub loading the kernel incorrectly?  I attached a
> > screenshot in case you see anything extremely different.
>
> To find where the problem really is (VMware versus VM image), I
> should try and swap the booting/non-booting images between work
> and home. That is about 6 GB of data, so I can't do it right now,
> but I'll check up on it one of the following days.

OK, to summarize:

At home I am running VMware Workstation 4.0.1 on Windows 2000 Prof.
At work I am running VMware Workstation 4.0.5 on Windows 2000 Prof.

I have two VM-images:

(1) A minimal RedHat 9.0 (no packages) installed at home.
(2) A full RedHat 9.0 (all packages) installed at work.

Both VMs have Xen installed exactly the same way. Both VMs boot properly
into normal Linux. (1) does a kernel stack fault on booting Xen, while
(2) boots Xen without problems. Same behavior at home and at work.

So it must be differences in the VM boot configuration that is to blame
(grub) and not VMware. A diff also shows that /boot/grub/stage2 differs
between the two VMs. After a few attempts at copying the grub setup from
VM (2) to VM (1) I have given up since VM (1) is now toast. Messing with
boot sectors isn't particularly safe :-).

How the boot configuration came to be different is beyond me, but
anyway... I now have a working Xen on VMware (the full RedHat) so I am
happy.

Cheers

-- Jan