Re: [Xen-devel] booting on a Compaq Proliant 1600

> I am starting Xen with the following GRUB configuration:
>
> title Xen
> kernel /xen.gz dom0_mem=131072 ser_baud=115200 ignorebiostables ifname=dummy
> module /xenolinux.gz root=/dev/discs/disc0/part6 ro console=tty0

Our default kernel build doesn't include devfs, so I'm not sure
whether using that syntax for root= will work. Have you tried
'hda6' (or should that be hda7 for part6, I can't remember)?

More importantly, the default Xen build doesn't contain support
for your cpqarray controller, or your Nat Semi DP83816 ethernet
controller.

That means that you're going to have to build your own
bleeding edge xeno-unstable.bk tree.

 bk clone bk://xen.bkbits.net/xeno-unstable.bk
 cd xeno-unstable.bk
 make -j4 world

The above will give you a default build of everything, populating
the 'install' directory. You're then going to configure the linux
kernel that is used for domain 0.

 cd linux-2.4.26-xen
 ARCH=xen make xen0_config  (this copies arch/xen/defconfig-xen0 to defconfig)
 ARCH=xen make xconfig      <enable cpqarray and dp83816>
 ARCH=xen make dep
 ARCH=xen make bzImage
 ARCH=xen INSTALL_NAME=2.4.26-xen0 make dist
 cd ..

[for reference, the last step does the following:]
 cp arch/xen/boot/bzImage ../install/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0
 cp vmlinux ../install/boot/vmlinux-syms-2.4.26-xen0
 cp .config ../install/boot/config-2.4.26-xen0

You should then be able to install these kernels and binaries
with 'make install'.

You'll need to edit your grub.conf to replace 'xenolinux.gz' with
'vmlinuz-2.4.26-xen0' to follow the normal linux convention.

Boot it, and let me know how you get on!

> If there is a crash message then it's too quick for me to see, I will try and
> attempt a serial capture of the boot process tonight.

You can use 'noreboot' to stop it rebooting, though capturing the
serial output will make life much easier.

Ian