Re: [Xen-devel] lvm

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 07:58:23AM +0100, Ian Pratt wrote:
> The only annoyance I can think of is if you want to export an LVM
> volume as a whole-disk to another domain (e.g. to appear as
> /dev/sda rather than individual partitions /dev/sda1 etc.).
> Within dom0, I'm not sure how you'd be able to get a partition
> table onto the volume and then populate the internal partitions
> with file systems and files.  I guess you'd really want dom0 to
> export the LVM volume back to itself as e.g. /dev/sdb so you
> could then mount the individual partitions, but this is currently
> supported (perhaps device mapper in 2.6 will give us this for free?)

I don't think you'd want to export an LVM logical volume as a
whole-disk to another doain since then you won't have the ability
to resize the partitions in that whole-disk.  I expect that would
have been the reason why one would use LVM in the first place.

You can use device mapper to create devices for the partitions
on the logical volume, I don't think there's a tool to set this
up but it's quite straightforward since fdisk works on logical
volumes and gives you all the information you need (start/end).

losetup should have an option to read a partition table off
the underlying device and then present the partitions as
loopa, loopa1, loopa2, ...

> Using lvm should work fine if you take volume per exported
> partition approach. It'll all be transparent to the other domain
> anyhow, and has the advantage that you can resize individual
> partitions.

exactly.

    christian