Re: [Xen-devel] segfault in VM

Keir Fraser wrote:

Clearly there's some fairly random memory corruption going on, which
then causes segfaults (if the corruption hits code pages) and
filesystem corruption (if the corruption hits buffer-cache pages).

The "Bailing: not a -ve offset" and "GPF (0004):" messages are almost
certainly just symptoms of executing a corrupted block of code. i.e.,
the bug has already triggered some time ago - probably corrupted a
page of glibc or the kernel.

It would be interesting to see whether or not this is SMP-related.
It's also interesting that someone said they couldn't reproduce
corruption when using 2.6.7 for the non-privileged guest OSes.

I'm seeing this corruption on a single CPU machine, with a single 2.4 guest running but idle. I only ran one 2.6.7 guest, and I didn't give it any work, but it didn't take any load in the 2.4 guest to provoke problems.

Do you mean a single 2.4 or 2.6 guest in addition to your 2.4 DOM0?

Yes, that's right. With just the 2.4 domain0 on its own, everything seems fine.

Chris.